Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sinister - (2012)


Summary:

A true-crime writer finds a cache of 8mm "snuff" films that suggest the murder he is currently researching is the work of a serial killer whose career dates back to the 1960s.

Our Review:

I went to see this movie with my sister, her boyfriend and my wife. I must say I had a good laugh watching them jump every few minutes. I also enjoyed the part where my sisters boyfriend said he couldn't sleep. Anyway, This original paranormal movie was directed and scripted by Scott Derrickson ("The Exorcism of Emily Rose," 2008's "The Day the Earth Stood Still")


Ethan Hawke plays Ellison Oswalt, a true crime author anxiously awaiting his next blockbuster book. His wife Tracy played by Juliet Rylance and children Ashley and Trevor are tired of constantly jumping from town to town. Oswalt is more interested in planting temporary roots close to the subjects of his  novels. As the film opens, the Oswalts are moving into yet another new house, but Ellison swears this is the last time, and informs his family of his intentions.

While unpacking, Ellison discovers a box of the previous owner's old home movies in the attic. Thus begins the sinister odyssey into the unknown. Please note that this is not one of those "just another found footage film." In reversing the role of viewer and protagonist, to some extent, it's Hawke's character who discovers the reels while we see his story played out on screen. We don't spend two hours watching shaky 8MM footage. They are integral to the narrative but aren't the sum of its parts.


If i'm not mistaken this is Ethan Hawkes first performance in this type of genre and I'll say it was brilliant. As for visual effects, they were on point to say the least. I guess going into the movie I didn't really know what to expect since it has been a long while since I've seen a good scary movie. I will say that it was worth the watch and won't severely disappoint you especially if you like these types of movies.


Our Rating:



Sinister DVD:
Sinister Blu-Ray:
Stream Sinister: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment